2006-07-09

Cool List of Banned and Challenged Books

HERE'S THE LINK The Owner of the site states: "The books listed on my site were all challenged on some grounds by groups who wished to impose restrictions on them. Some were removed from reading lists, some were removed from school or public libraries, some were burned in bonfires. I do not claim that all of the books in my list are for the same age group, nor do I believe they are all equally suitable for academic reading lists. I merely report documented challenges to books, and in some cases poke fun at the rationale used by those who object to the works mentioned.

I put the website together because I did not find any of the specific rationale for challenging the works I list compelling in any way. In fact, many of the reasons were quite humorous. I believe that books, and children, are individuals, and none deserve to be labelled."

Now go and read the lyrics to XTC's "Books Are Burning"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your link to that website doesn't work:

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/%7Ejyanosko/forbidden/

Steve said...

FIXED - thanks!